Saturday 22 May 2010

End to End Frank: Day 6

Once again, the first text message of the day arrived as I was having breakfast.
Frank was just setting off, but he wasn't expecting to make huge progress, as his ankles had swollen up. This was not encouraging news, because it was trouble with his achilles tendons that put paid to his previous attempt on this route. He reckoned he'd just aim for Preston and see how it went.

By the time I'd driven to Worcestershire and arrived at the rehearsal studio, there were two more messages.
The first was timed at 10:41, marking the passing of the 400 mile point, while the second had been sent from Wigan at 13:22. Not such dreadful progress  then.
The drummer I was rehearsing with was very sympathetic, as he'd done the same journey some years ago. He said that he'd never quite got over how when he'd reached Scotland, there was so much further left to go. I decided not to pass this depressing thought on to Frank.

By the time our rehearsal was over and we'd been for some refreshment at "The Plough" in Pershore, Frank had reached the campsite at Scorton where he will be spending tonight.

As I drove the hundred miles homeward, back up the M6, I struggled to get my head round the fact that for the last few days, Frank has been repeatedly covering the same distance on a bike.

Extraordinary.


Scorton

2 comments:

  1. Wigan already? I suspect EPOs in use, and the drug testing agencies should be alerted immediately!!

    We drove to John O'Groats on our way to Orkney ten years ago, and I can confirm that even by car, you don't get how far it still is to go once you've passed the Scots border, until you've done it. Purely by coincidence, we holidayed in Cornwall the following year and went to Land's End.

    So Frank needs to pass my personal best for the journey of 12 months...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll text your challenge to Frank tomorrow morning. I'm sure it'll help.

    ReplyDelete