Tuesday 23 February 2010

"Moon": More good news

I was chuffed to see that Duncan Jones got a Bafta for "Moon", the other night.

Having enjoyed the film enough to post about it last month, it was a pleasant surprise when I heard that Jones had got the award for "Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer".

If you want to see the video clip of him getting His Bafta, you'll find it at this link.

As the child of a famous parent (David Bowie), Duncan Jones seems refreshingly sensible. If you watch the DVD of his film, amongst the extras there's a "making of the movie" feature where you get an opportunity to see him at work. This is a worthwhile bonus as it not only shows the mechanism of film-making, but it also gives an idea of the atmosphere within the working environment. Jones comes across as leader rather than a tyrant, and it seems that this style has paid off handsomely.


I suppose it should not be a surprise that he comes over as unpretentious. He was, after all, sensible enough to change his name to Duncan Jones, having been lumbered at birth with the wince-inducing Zowie Bowie.

I blame the parents...

2 comments:

  1. I remembered your previous post on that film, because it was on at my local arts centre last week. However I didn't go because the write up in the catalogue put me off a bit. It said it's a three man drama with just a single actor visible on screen. Sorry I didn't watch the Baftas either, maybe I missed out on something good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't actually watch the Baftas myself either...
    Too much tuxedo and tearfulness.

    ReplyDelete