Sunday 21 February 2010

This will upset Dr Beeching

About a year ago, I mentioned that I'd rescued my abortive attempt to build a model railway layout, from the spidery gloom of our loft. Over the last week I've finally got around to starting the rebuild.

The image of railway modelling is not good. If ever there was a pastime that seems to epitomise nerdy geekness, building and running model railways would probably only be second to train-spotting. At any gathering there are few quicker ways of committing social suicide than to let slip that you've been re-wiring the signalling on your model of Boghampstead Junction. Even if you try to redefine the hobby as model engineering, as soon as you admit that the particular engineering that you are modelling is a Great Western Railways Castle Class locomotive, you might as well put on your anorak and leave by the nearest exit.

I can't understand why there is such a willingness to sneer at this sort of endeavour.
What is the difference between somebody painting a landscape to hang on their living room wall and someone painting the scenic background for a railway layout? Why is it deemed "peculiar" for somebody to spend many hours building a tiny, working replica of a diesel locomotive and yet if the same person was to spend the same time crafting jewelry it would be seen as "artistic"?
Even computer geeks are less derided than railway modellers.

...but I digress...

The good news is that my model railway layout has finally got off the drawing board and I have even managed to get some of the track stuck down onto the baseboard.
OK, the speed of development is laughable, but it is only slightly slower than that of the proposed West Coast High Speed Rail link from London to Glasgow.

For those who aren't too embarrassed to be interested:
  • The baseboard is a 4ft. by 2ft. piece of MDF, glued to a simple wooden framework of 2"x1".
  • The track is mostly Peco Code 80 Flextrack with Medium Radius electrofrog points, although I've used some lengths of Set-track on the sections that will be "behind the scenes".
  • I've glued down the track onto cork sheeting.
  • The small wooden pillars are to support the upper level of track, which will be the next thing to be added.
  • The rectangular hole is to allow access to the underside of the upper level when it is in position.
  • The curved hole at the lower left of the picture is where the incline to the upper layer begins.


For anyone too young to remember Dr Beeching and his impact on the British rail network, this link will take you to his Wikipedia page.

4 comments:

  1. My Dad had a sizeable layout in his loft, and it gave him enormous pleasure. He moved house the year before he died, and had to leave the structure in the loft of the old house.

    I've no time for people who deride someone else's hobbies - whatever floats your boat!

    Just make sure Dr Blighting doesn't close down all your branch lines...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, floating your boat!!! I'm sure people will sneer at the delight I take in spending little and enjoying life on fourpence! Keep up with the railway! I wish it were the national pastime instead of binge drinking and happy slapping! (quoting Alan Carr there, but he won't mind) We shall want photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted a train set, but all I got was dolls!!! Then my brother got a meccano set and I borrowed it when he wasn't looking. Good luck with your railway, can I come and play with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your support. I shall wear my anorak with pride ;)

    ReplyDelete