Tuesday 2 February 2010

Things break...

We seem to be going through one of those periods when stuff starts breaking down or falling to bits. The latest addition to the remorselessly lengthening list of casualties is Blight-of-my-life's car.

As she removed the oil-filler cap to give the engine a top-up earlier today, she discovered that there was a rather unpleasant custardy sludge around the filler.

I was called out of the house to look under the little, blue Vauxhall's bonnet.
"That's not very good, is it", she said
My heart didn't actually sink, but it was certainly holed below the water-line.
I've seen this puss-like glop before. It's the sort of emulsion you get when oil and water are vigourously mixed by an engine that generally indicates that cooling water is finding a way into the engine's oil system. It usually means that the cylinder head gasket has failed.
"Err, no. That's not very good at all..."
"Should I stop driving it then?"
"I dunno," I said, wondering just how long it had been since the oil was last checked, "You're having it MOT'd soon. Have a word with the garage blokes and see what they say."

One 'phone call later...
"They said don't drive it and take it down for them to look at on Friday."
I was unable to stop myself from pointing out the inconsistency of this advice, but once our uncontrollable mirth had subsided, we started trying to decide how much we would be prepared to fork out for a repair before it would be more sensible to start thinking about a replacement car.
With a bit of luck, the chaps at the garage will come up with a bearable quotation. They have earned our respect over the years and kept several of our vehicles soldiering on well beyond the point that I'd have given up hope of any possibility of economic repair. So even though our finances are bound to take a hit, we have some cause for optimism.

One cheering aspect of this situation is that Blight is having to use the Land Rover.
Now, I'll be able to blame the Mystery Smell on something horse related that will inevitably get transferred from the farm into the driver's footwell.


A cunning plan indeed. 

8 comments:

  1. Once you get a quote you can alway let me know and we could see if we can beat it at the quarry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would that be "beat it", as in the phrase, "beat it with a big stick"?

    Heaven knows the poor thing has suffered enough already... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sympathy entirely with you, I had to fork out for a head gasket job on my 306 a few years back, and a nasty hit on the pocket it was.

    You still getting a dog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at custardy sludge...
    I wish I had a more cunning plan than the latter. However, how I FEEL you all on the continuous breakdown streak, O, how I feel you. It is poetic, alas, dare I say, Hardy-ian, that these damned jalopies rule us so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. RFB: Still nothing definite on the dog front, although I've been reading loads of stuff and frightening myself with the potential problems of "inherent hip displasia" and "bloat"... I'm sure dogs didn't have any of that sort of unpleasantness when I was a kid.

    HML: Hmmm. Perhaps we ought to consider taking the car to D'Urberville Motors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I get it, you don't have a dog and want one....., don't worry about what they get; like humans some do, some dont. Cars, bliddy things. Mine cost 300 pounds for a service because I let a big garage do it and I could have taken it to quickfit! even under warranty mine is expensive as I have to take it a long way to get medical attention!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not surprised that it's a long way to the garage; everywhere is a long way from Cornwall.

    I think that's why one of my brothers moved there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you bet cyberkim.....the dealership is in Plymouth and they used ot have garages spotted about cornwall, due to the economy, they closed those and now it's a hike and a courtesy car to just get it fixed....love your 'office' btw.

    ReplyDelete