Thursday 7 January 2010

Moon

I don't go to the cinema very often these days.
I used to go a couple of times a month, but when the privately owned, independent cinema in our nearest town was closed down it became so much less convenient.
I also can't stomach the overwhelming reek of popcorn and burgers that seems to be unavoidable at most multi-screens.
...and don't get me started on the noise. The sound of people nattering and munching is so loud, that you can't hear the soundtrack during the quiet parts unless they turn up the volume to such a level that when there's a loud bit on screen, your ear drums implode from the sound pressure.
In short, going to see a film just isn't enjoyable these days.

Fortunately, our local library has a good selection of recent DVD releases, so I can catch up with stuff that I've missed fairly smartly. One of last year's films that I was keen to see was "Moon", so when I spotted it on the shelves, I decided to give it a go.

This excellent movie stars Sam Rockwell. It's a real pleasure to watch some science fiction where the setting, an isolated lunar mining facility, is fundamental to the story rather than just an excuse for a load of flashy special effects baloney. Rockwell plays Sam Bell, the sole human inhabitant of the place as he nears the end of his three year contract. Direct communication with Earth has been lost, so Sam is reduced to sending and receiving recorded messages from home or talking to GERTY, the facility's computer. Given this isolation, it is unsurprising that Sam becomes increasingly unsettled until, distracted by the appearance of a woman who cannot possibly be there, he has an accident out on the lunar surface.
As Sam recovers, he makes a disturbing discovery that feeds his paranoia and sense of dislocation as the mystery develops.
This is a first class thriller.

Science fiction is often a convenient way to present a well-worn idea in a new guise. With 'Moon' we have a story that isn't just a re-tread of a plot that we've seen before  in a thousand westerns or detective stories; the time and the place that it takes place are intrinsic to the drama.

On a more personal note, I found it easy to empathise with Sam.
When I'm alone in the Control Building in the early hours of the morning, watching the Lovell Telescope scan the stars, it sometimes feels like I'm the last man on Earth.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last man on earth, that made me smile :-) Sometimes I think I wouldn't mind being the last woman on earth, that's as long as there were still plenty of men left to do the chores, ha ha. Haven't seen the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have a major problem with the sound in cinema's... used to bring on my migraines and no one could understand when I started refusing to go, they thought I was a killjoy... I have, however found a solution... our village has a 'cinema' comes to the village hall once a month. They don't show the newest films but we still manage to see some good ones before they come on the telly! Will watch out for this one. Sci Fi is right up my street... but there hasn't been that many good ones recently - except District Nine... that was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, An Apology for Draconian Censorship:
    Sorry to pull your comment, Reallyfatbloke.

    I thought it might have been a bit of a plot spoiler.
    ...made me laugh, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fear that the men wouldn't be too bothered about chores, Meanqueen; far too busy fighting over the 'last woman'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'District Nine' is on my must-see list, Billie Jane. It too has had the Dr Kermode Seal of Approval, so I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd tell you just how good District Nine is, but you'd probably have to black ink me again! Hurt!

    Minus 12 c driving into Manchester this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What? ...even better than "Voyage to the planet of Prehistoric Women"?

    ReplyDelete