Thursday 3 December 2009

Cobblers!

Here's something that I hadn't realised that I take for granted.
Shoes that don't let in water.

I've had these "Clarks Active Air" for a few years now and although they took a while to become really comfortable, they've been good shoes; black, shiny, sensibly smart. During hot weather, they haven't become intolerable and during the winter they've been warm, snug and, most importantly, dry.

So today, as I ventured outside to do the meteorology checks, I became aware of a most unwelcome, chilly squishiness under the sole of my left foot. There was that unambiguous wet sock feeling that I'd almost forgotten. It brought back the memories of every leaky wellington boot and accidentally submerged plimsoll that I'd ever had.
Sure enough, when I got back indoors and took off my shoes, the problem was immediately obvious. There was a hole, worn through the sole of one shoe.

Then I noticed something a bit odd (at this point, Horatio "CSI:Miami" Caine would be taking off his sunglasses and looking off to one side with that infuriating expression.)
The left shoe was much more worn than the right. This was a bit puzzling.
At first, I couldn't think of any reason why the wear was so obviously uneven.
I don't walk with a limp, run around in circles or do anything unorthodox with my feet.

Then I realized what had almost certainly caused it.

The clutch pedal on the Land Rover is extraordinarily stiff. It is so much harder to depress than the brake, that I've had to replace the pedal rubber three times since I've owned it. The brake pedal rubber is hardly worn at all. If the clutch pedal is taking that much wear, it's not so surprising that the shoe that operates the pedal also gets a disproportionately high degree of wear.

I guess it's just another variable to factor into the Cost of Ownership Equation for a Land Rover Defender.

7 comments:

  1. reallyfatbloke - no, really4 December 2009 at 19:13

    Click here to see this page transalted into redneck!

    http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=redneck&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcyberkim.blogspot.com%2F

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and my new favourite, Jive:
    http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=jive&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcyberkim.blogspot.com%2F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha!!!! Swedish Chef!!!!!

    http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=bork&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcyberkim.blogspot.com%2F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant deduction! Here's to impermeable shoes and old clutches ;-). Since reading your post, I know I will be considering the pedals on my truck a little more from now on as we approach the rainy season here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, I showed Wifey, a professional footist, the photo only and she immediately said "Look at that clutch wear - you can see the rotation on the heel, too". So not a unique phenomenon. Bork bork bork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crikey!
    You may have just stumbled upon a new, niche occupation:

    Internet Chiropodist.

    ReplyDelete