Sunday 20 December 2009

The view from my window

I was talking to one of my brothers the other evening, on the 'phone, and he asked me,
"Just how high off the ground are you in the telescope control room?"
When I told him that the Control Room is in a building at ground level, and not actually on the telescope itself, he seemed quite disappointed.
If he'd been the first person to ask this question, I might have been tempted to give him a hard time, but it's not uncommon for people to think that we drive the telescope from a control cabin, perched high up on the structure like the operator of a building-site tower crane.

The working environment is a lot less spartan than that and although the view from the Control Room windows is dominated by the dish, we are a couple of hundred metres away from it.

In the Google-map view below, you can see the Control Building down and to the right of the Lovell Telescope, at the end of the straight path.


View Larger Map

For any astronomers out there, the position of the dish in the Google image would be typical for pulsar observations; generally South and close to the horizon.

5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic place to work, no wonder you don't mind going in on Christmas day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It's hard to believe just how lucky I am to do this for a living.

    It more than compensates for some other dreadful jobs that I've done over the years. (Don't get me started on 'brick dressing')

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chemical Al told me you were working on Christmas day. Hope its a thoroughly enjoyable one for you! Happy Christmas to yourself and Blight
    The RFBs - reallyfatbloke, wifey, boy and girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back!

    It's good to see that there is no longer a Reallyfatbloke-shaped hole in the blogosphere

    ReplyDelete
  5. An RFB shaped hole?? That would make The Wall an easier game - bring on the wall!!!!

    ReplyDelete