Wednesday 27 May 2009

This is not a shameless plug for our CD

There's a certain amount satisfaction washing around in my band at present, as the CD we've been working on for several months is finally finished.

It's been recorded, mixed, re-mixed, pressed, printed and delivered.

We've got several cartons of lovely, shiny CDs, all resplendent in their jewel cases with their beautifully printed covers.

I've never really thought myself as a recording artist before. The discipline of recording a definitive version of a song requires the sort of dedication and attention to detail that I find hard to muster; I would much rather do a gig than subject myself to the rigours of studio recording.
If you make a mistake when you're playing live, you have to carry on as if nothing has gone wrong; often you'll be the only one who knows you've dropped a clanger and even if you do something utterly hideous, hopefully only the rest of the band will notice.

Unfortunately, when you are recording, any and every mistake needs to be fixed. Admittedly, with the digital recording tools that are available these days, it is ridiculously easy to repair some mistakes; Played a bum note on the bass in verse two? Just cut and paste the correct note in from verse one. But other problems still require a lot of time and effort.
You can't easily 'patch' a lead guitar solo, and any vocal error will at the very least need a second take to replace it. Even if you only have to re-record a single phrase, it still takes time to set up and get it 'punched in'.
Recording is an enormously time consuming process. To record a three minute song properly will almost certainly take hours, and possibly months.

So, you'll see why we're particularly chuffed to have finished.

If you want hear how it turned out, you can find a couple of tracks HERE, or you might even hear us on one of our local radio stations, "Canalside Community Radio-FM".

6 comments:

  1. reallyfatbloke28 May 2009 at 20:02

    Crikey, well done! Not sure you're wearing enough spandex for Dive Bomber, but definitely the right amount of denim for Road of No Return. Seriously impressive lurching from Rolling Stones to a bit of Pretenders via the rest of the 70s.
    You can put me down for a (signed!!!) copy - will divvy up when i see you next. It can go on my shelf of CDs by people I used to know - so far Grey Lady Down, Iva Twydell & George Michael.
    BTW - you may like my CD - "Get Out Of My CD Player Damn You!" featuring the ex-Mr RFGR. Took at least half an hour to record, although about a day if you include drinking time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stuff! I just had a listen and bookmarked that page for returning later. I love the album art too, classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both!!

    I'll bludgeon the rest of the band into reading your comments; I'm sure they'll be delighted too.

    The graphic design was done by our drummer, so he'll be especially pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does that mean I get to be reunited with my Roland TD6? will they remember me, will there be tears? Mr.S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roland is looking forward to returning home. He's just worried that you may have rented out his room to art students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Squatters evicted, art students too. I'll ring to make homecoming arrangements next week. Note to self! bake cake, put up bunting.

    ReplyDelete