Tuesday 29 March 2011

"The optician will see you now..."

I wear glasses.

I got my first pair, for reading, when I was about twelve years old, was wearing them full time from sometime in the 1980s and now need varifocals to compensate for the deficiencies of genetics and age.

I don't actually like having to wear spectacles, but have got so used to them that even when contact lenses have been suggested as an alternative, I find that I'm reluctant to change. It's as if I feel that my face would be incomplete without them.

It's been a couple of years since my last eye-test, so while I was in town this afternoon, I went into Specsavers to see if they could fit me in. As luck would have it, I only had to wait for two minutes to get an appointment; an all time record for me.

The test confirmed what I'd suspected and I needed a new prescription, so next Wednesday I'll be collecting my new specs.

It worries me that so many people think that they "don't need glasses".
There are thousands of them out there, insisting that they can see perfectly, when the truth is that they really ought to get their eyes checked and get some corrective lenses to see through.
I can understand their reluctance though. It's clear that the percentage of people who wear glasses is far higher than it was when I was a kid, but there's still a sort stigma associated with needing glasses.
Vanity requires that you don't display your imperfections and such an obvious indication that your eyesight is less than perfect, as a pair of glasses, is hard to deny.
This a potentially dangerous vanity, particularly if you drive a car. I've even heard people say that they've got glasses for driving, but they don't wear them because they make them look stupid.
I seems that they'd rather knock some poor sod off his bicycle because they didn't see him, than appear unfashionable.

Having my eyes tested and getting a decent pair of properly prescribed binns isn't going to guarantee that I won't have an accident, but if I do, at least I won't have to spend the rest of my life knowing that I could have done something really simple that could have prevented it happening.

6 comments:

  1. Well now. My eyes need testing because it is two years since my last test, but alas I cannot afford to buy new glasses at the moment so I am holding on for a bit. I still wear my old prescription which is perfectly ok as far as I can tell but I have never yet been to the opticians without having to buy a new pair of specs that inevitably cost a fortune (even if you do get two pairs) I plan to get my eyes tested soon and if they have changed prescription then I shall buy my specs online which I believe will be much cheaper... well that's the plan. thank you for letting me ramble about my eyesight and meanness on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is possible to have new lenses fitted to your existing frames.

    I did this a few years ago, when funds were a bit tight. I had to wear an older, spare pair while they were away getting re-glazed, but it saved what was a significant sum for me at the time.

    Obviously, most opticians don't want to do this as they'd rather sell you new frames, but if you can find one who is amenable it might be worth considering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just had my two year reminder from Specsavers. I might get another couple of months out of it untill I feel in the mood to choose new frames. Buying new specs is such a traumatic experience for me, I couldn't possibly order online because I need to try on hundreds of pairs before I find the right frames. It generally takes me three hours in the optician.

    I hate wearing specs, so I have to be very choosey about which frame I buy. It's not vanity but part of my BDD.

    I wore contact lenses for 20 years, the best thing I ever did, apart from getting my HGV licence. Not wearing specs gave me an enormous confidence boost. Made me feel normal, like everyone else. I don't wear lenses now because I would have to wear reading specs, so not much point. Varifocals are the easiest option, even though I hate them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, I still miss wearing contacts, but they don't work so well for reading...at least not the ones they've come out with so far. I wish I didn't wear glasses but it's not out of vanity; it's because I hate having to clean them over and over and over. hate having to duck my head in the rain & then get to the car only to find nothing to clean them with...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Post! I need to go to the doc for a check up. Great reminder. Are varifocals bi-focals? Or something different?
    Glasses have always given me headaches. So happy to have contacts. I love them! I am blind without some sort of corrections! Can't seem to think in the AM without contacts or glasses on. Funny, Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dmarie. The whole "rain on spectacles" thing is definitely a major irritation. When I used to travel to work by bicycle, this probably made cycling 100% more dangerous.

    Hi Lafemmet. Varifocals are similar to bifocals, except the lens is ground without an obvious "line" between the two prescriptions. It's the optical equivalent of using a ramp instead of a step.
    They're surprisingly easy to get used to, But... DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR FEET WHEN WALKING DOWNSTAIRS. It's a bit bewildering, because the relationship of where your feet are with respect to the rest of your body seems to change as you move your head.

    ReplyDelete