Friday 26 November 2010

"Shackleton's Voyage"

Following the comment from Anonymous on yesterday's post, I thought I'd draw your attention to a rather interesting re-telling of story of The Imperial Trans Antarctic Expedition  and of Ernest Shackleton's remarkable achievement.

"Eureka" were not a band that I'd come across before, but Amazon suggested that their CD, "Shackleton's Voyage" was something I might consider worth buying. I listened to the short samples of each of the tracks and was impressed enough by what I heard to order it.

If you are totally averse to Prog Rock or the very idea of a "Concept Album", you may well be strongly inclined to dismiss this piece, but as far as these sort of compositions go, I reckon that it is almost too accessible. If I was forced to compare it with any other album, I'd say that some of it was reminiscent of early Mike Oldfield. There are a few short spoken passages which may remind you of "War of the Worlds" and there is a particularly celtic feel to some sections.

I had a quick trawl through YouTube and found several clips from the album, so here is "Going Home". 


2 comments:

  1. mmmm. This is not the kind of stuff that I would hold my hand up to enjoying (why?.. guess it's not cool, don't know why, but it isn't... but hey I'm now too old to be cool!) but I like it ... and my son who just passed by said 'that's a bit epic' not sure what that means but he is cool so perhaps its not a complete downer. Shackleton is a bit of a hero of mine so I like the sentiment, and the more people who recognise the magnitude of what he did the better. Rock on I say! (Oh dear... I really am too old to be cool).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very mention of "Progressive" or "Prog" Rock is sometimes enough to drive people screaming for the hills, so perhaps you should consider yourself tougher, and cooler, than you think.

    ReplyDelete