Friday 5 November 2010

Sculpture: What's that all about...?

It's often tempting to dismiss contemporary art as self-indulgent nonsense. Sometimes it seems that all that an artist has to do, is cobble together a collection of odds and ends, stick it on a plinth and then give it a pretentious name. They then just sit back and wait for some gullible sap to pay them a ludicrous sum of money for it.

In spite of the feeling that in some cases this may well be true, I actually quite enjoy seeing contemporary art.
Even if I can't shake off the suspicion that the artist is just taking the piss, sometimes the thing that they have created can be so visually arresting, beautiful or downright unsettling, that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Actually getting a really close look at a piece often reveals a level of care and detail that isn't obvious from a first impression. Yes, I enjoy looking at some of this stuff.

A couple of weeks ago, Blight-of-my-life and I went to Chatsworth House, to the fifth annual "Beyond Limits" exhibition of sculpture. From mid September to the end of October, Sothebys put a selection of sculptures on display in the grounds of this stately home, so for the price of entry to the gardens you can wander around and see some outstanding bits of art in beatiful surroundings. Seeing the works set against the background of the autumn countryside was a particular treat. It didn't do any harm that we picked a brilliantly clear day either.

Here are a just a few of the pieces.

"Leftover" : By Zadok Ben-David



 "Butterflies" : By Manolo Valdes


"Eve" : By Richard Hudson



If you fancy a look at some of the others, the Parwich.org site is well worth a visit..

Oh, and by the way...
...if you think that  this splendid chunk of bronze looks familiar, then I'm afraid you may be as sad a case as I am.

"Cubo 1" : By Arnaldo Pomodoro


  
Borg Cube from Star Trek: "Resistance is futile..."



5 comments:

  1. I wish I had known about this, why didn't you tell me :o( I would have been there like a shot. Love the first one, and Butterflies, and the reflections in Eve are amazing. You don't post very often, but they are well worth waiting for. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I guess it was a bit gormless of me not to think of that. Sorry...

    However, as they've been doing it for five years now, they're almost certain to continue for the foreseeable future.

    As for "Eve". I found it strangely disturbing, but I'm not sure why.

    My favourite was "Leftover". It's cut from a single sheet of corten steel plate, about an inch thick, but the end result has the delicacy of a piece of lace-work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, Leftover is the best one. I'll see you there next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Oxfordshire they have 'artweeks' exhibitions every year. They publish a leaflet which tells you where all the art works are displayed and you have to set off to see the one's you think you might like. sometimes they are sculptures in the grounds of someone's fancy home - or they could be paintings hung on the wall of b & q... Or a sculpture in a village square. It's great to see art out of context or perhaps it really is in context. Sadly I recognised the Borg cube instantly... Cap'n Janeway was my role model for years... ah well... there is simply no hope for some of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's just hope that "The Tate Bricks" are never on display at a branch of B&Q; that could end very badly...

    ReplyDelete