Friday 5 March 2010

Nostalgia: It's not what it used to be...

I've had my first "Verbal Warning" that I'm subjecting the good folk of the blogosphere to an overdose of nostalgia.

She was about half way through the reminiscences about my late lamented Austin A40, when Blight-of-my-life enquired,
"Why do so many of your blog posts start with the words 'I remember when...' and  'back in the seventies...' eh?"

She has a point.
I always knew that there was a risk of this happening, but I thought it was a temptation that I'd be able to control. It appears that I was wrong.
It's starting to sound like I don't actually exist in the present, so I need to get a grip and be a bit more "now".

So here's the pledge.

"I will not refer to the 1970s or use the phrase 'I remember when' (or anything similarly nostalgic) for at least six months"

This will probably be tougher than I expect.

6 comments:

  1. I think it happens to us all when we get to a certain age. As we get older there's not much of 'now', left, but there's a heck of a lot of 'then'. I remember the first series of Doctor Who with William Hartnell, ooops, there I go again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, William Hartnell. I reme...

    Blimey, that was close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But the NOW can be a bit... well scary I guess... the I remember universe is much more comforting.. after all, if it wasnt exactly to your liking you can re-invent it, in the I remember world you are the expert and no one can really dispute your expertise... ah yes... I think I like the I remember universe, I visit it regularly... couldn't stay away for six months. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With a bit of luck, in six months time, I'll be able to look back on my period of not looking back and... and... Get totally confused, I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you remember those Watch With Mother programmes? Bill and Ben on a Wednesday, Andy Pandy on a Thursday or was it Tuesday, The Woodentops on a friday, and what were the other two? Muffin the Mule maybe?
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Picture Book" and "Rag, Tag and Bobtail"
    (I'm glad to say that I had to Google this to be certain.)

    Go here for more information:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_With_Mother

    ReplyDelete