Monday 5 January 2009

Scooby Don't has left the building

It's been a bit confusing, to be honest. What started out as a way to leave twice as many comments on Reallyfatbloke's blog, without making it look as if I had nothing better to do, has ended up with me veering dangerously close to the realms of multiple personality disorder.

When RFB began his blog, at the start of last year, I thought he was setting some pretty hard targets. The commitment to blog every day looked tough enough, let alone the whole weight-loss thing and the Great North Run, so I figured if more people were tracking his activities he'd have a greater incentive not to let us all down.
The regularity of his daily postings meant that it soon became routine to check on his activities, his diet and the Joke. (I would have added 'Training Regime', but that was a bit less than regular, so was harder to find)
Having left the odd comment under my real name, I had a bit of a dilemma; I wanted to make a couple of helpful suggestions (Well, I thought they were helpful) about diet, and felt that they were not really the sort of thing that would have any credibility coming from me.

"I know," I thought, "I'll pretend to be someone else."

So Scooby Don't was born.

I've enjoyed being Scooby. He has allowed the pedantic, nit-picking side of me complete freedom to roam, and also been the channel for the lamest humour that I could muster.
It was also particularly enjoyable when Scooby made the mistake of assuming that I was a woman, and watching the subsequent postings from RFB, as he set about explaining Scooby's gaffe, without offending him. Absolutely charming. I wouldn't normally have stooped to such tactics, but RFB had asked if I knew who Scooby was, and I needed to try and banish any possibility that he'd think it was me.

I had decided that if I didn't get rumbled sooner, I would own up to Scooby's true identity at the end of the year. The only thing left to figure out, was how to actually do the reveal. In the end, it was obvious; Scooby would set up his own blog, with a picture of me, mugging at the camera with some kind of "Aha! It was me all the time!" message.

So that's what I did.
Then the problems started . . .

Having set up Scooby's blog, it seemed a shame not to carry on blogging. But I'd already decided he'd done his job.

"I know, I ll start my own blog", I thought, "I'll call it 'Does it have oceans?'"

". . . Ah. . . But what should I call myself? I can't just use 'Kim' . . ."

Aaaaaahhhhhgg!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment