Friday 23 January 2009

Half a loft is better than no insulation at all


Had a bit of a setback on the loft insulation front today. Following abortive attempts to get some more rolls of the same type of 200mm thick rock wool from the 2 nearest branches of B&Q, I went to a third this afternoon, and discovered that the stuff I've been using had been on special offer and has now all gone. This is deeply annoying, as I'd just about finished all the fiddly stuff with joist risers and floor-boards for safely accessing all the wiring and plumbing and I'd finally figured out how much more insulation I needed to complete the job.

The day hasn't been a total washout though, as I listened to the final part of the radio adaptation of "A prayer for Owen Meany". This has been broadcast in 5 installments this week, in the 'Afternoon Play' spot on BBC Radio 4, and it has been excellent. I've never read any of John Irving's books, but I've seen the film of 'The Cider house rules' and thought it would be a worth a listen. After the first episode I was hooked to the extent that I even considered not listening to the rest of it, so that I could read the book without knowing the story.

I also managed to get to the mobile blood donation session at the Civic Centre and donate "very nearly an arm-full". There are so many reasons for people to be ineligible to give blood these days, that it seems really selfish not to do it if you can. 
The National Blood Service always needs gallons of the stuff, especially of the most common blood groups, so every drop is welcome. 

It doesn't hurt and you get tea and biscuits afterwards; what's not to like?

Apologies to xylophiles everywhere, but I've decided not to include any inflammatory images of power-tools today. Over-stimulation should be avoided whenever possible

No comments:

Post a Comment