Monday 9 February 2009

I love this job!

Here's one of the things that make my job absolutely brilliant. It's the view from what you might call "my office window" at Jodrell Bank. It is, of course, the Lovell Telescope; this is what I drive for a living.


The picture was taken today, shortly after ten to four in the morning. I was coming up to the half-way point in my eight hour shift. I'd got a nice efficient set of pulsar observations scheduled, the wind was very light and although there was a reasonable amount of snow on the ground, none was falling, so everything was pretty much optimal. 

We don't normally run a lot of lights on the telescope because of the light pollution, but it's a good idea to occasionally test run the security floods. 
When I switched them on, I was so chuffed with how the structure looked, with the Moon peering over the shoulder of Red Tower, I just had to get a photo'.

9 comments:

  1. Great photo! What an amazing view, and an amazing job you have. The view from my fourth floor ugly city centre block is the four storey ugly city centre block across the road from us. Unless I'm working on the first floor - then its all the people on the top deck of the bus looking in our window. Yuk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My verification word just then was 'arsolys'. Is it trying to tell me something? Oi, Blog, outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Extrical' that time - wriggling out of it now, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Colfers'. Nuff said

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eoin Colfer has written a loads of books. They're supposed to be for kids, but I've really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl stories.

    Glad you liked the picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is quite an amazing pic. Nice job!

    And I agree, the Artemis Fowl books are pretty good, though I haven't enjoyed the last few as much as the first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A film of Artemis Fowl is a strong possibility, I understand.
    If Colfer gets his way, it should be 'live action' as opposed to CGI.

    Assuming the author pitched it to the movie folk as "Die Hard with fairies", it ought to be a dead cert for production.

    I shall be watching 'The Vault' for news, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Artemis Fowl - one of my guilty pleasures when we take the beasts to the library. Something going on with the teenage lad and the police fairy, don't you think?
    'neted' by the way

    ReplyDelete